Monday, April 28, 2008

Main & Maple

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)






Do you ever just stop to watch people at their "jobs"? I'm talking about the people serving you coffee at Starbucks, your teachers/coaches, the cashier at Kroger, the mailman, your doctor, police officers, your waiter/waitress...the list goes on. When I stop and just watch people at their "jobs" it gets pretty depressing. It often seems as though people are just trying to get through the day, only to start the same process over again the next. It all just seems so dull.

Then Bradley reminded me of how it should be. I was sitting at a coffee shop with a friend of mine last Friday. There was a local musician playing. His name is Bradley. Now, even if you don't like Bradley's music, which I do, you can't help but love to watch him do his "job." After he's done tuning his guitar and getting all the sounds just right, he closes his eyes, strums chords for about three minutes, and smiles from ear to ear.

He just smiles. You would think it is just him and his guitar in that room, and no one else. You can tell that he absolutely loves what he does. And he wants us to love it, too. He wants us to feel the same joy that he gets out of making music. So he stands up there SHOWING us how he loves it.

Whether I'm playing soccer, coaching, writing a paper, or just walking down the street...I want people to see why I love it so much. I want them to love what I love because of the way I love it.

Sometimes, just watching someone else love something makes you love it, too.

Bradley makes me want to play the guitar and sing.

How amazing would the world be if we all did our "jobs" this way?

Whatever our instrument of choice...lets make others want to play it, too.

No comments: